Thursday, April 7, 2011

Early April - Garden in Action

So this is a little late.. but I wanted to show you everything exciting that's been sprouting in the garden since it finally looks like there might be some warm weather sticking around and we had  chance to get back out in the yard again over the weekend.  

Lots to do, especially since our plants are coming in next week!!!  So here's a tiny little update:
Tulips!

I love these guys in the front bed

The Gerber Daisies are starting to emerge!
No sign of the Calla Lillies or Hollyhocks though...

My Baby radishes!
A quick side note on Radishes:  Bill found this neat article from Mr. Brown Thumb about testing soil quality by growing radishes.  Mr. Brown says that since radishes are fast growing and can start early in the season, they're a great plant to see if your soil is suitable for gardening.

And now the new plants!!!  I'd been so worried with the crummy weather that's we'd have to replant, but some of the new little guys are coming up...

Snow Peas!!!

Sweet Peas!  A Montana favorite

Orange Poppies.  I think

CARROTS!!  How do you know what to thin on carrots?

UFO Squash... about to be thinned!
Oh dear.  And my Carls.  This one is looking awesome!  But the one the one on my back porch isn't doing too well.  It turns out that monsoon rains + small pot w/o drainage holes = swampy wetland conditions.  Oh well.  Lessons learned.
Carl Sr.  Just about in need of a haircut.
 I'm in love with the creeping thyme
(the short fluffy low stuff)
Ok... seeing as most everything survived the arctic snap of March 2011, time to get to work.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous tulips! MMMMMMM snow peas! Pretty, nice-smelling sweet peas! Radishes... I don't know what to do with them ;)

    CK

    ReplyDelete